As you may be aware, the Canadian government recently passed legislation to make September 30th a federal statutory holiday called the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.
National Day for Truth and Reconciliation will become a designated paid holiday for federal public service employees, and will allow employees to observe and participate in this important day starting September 2021.
Who is eligible?
There are 3 types of Statutory Holidays in Canada:
- Nationwide Holidays: These are 5 Statutory Holidays that are mandated across the Country for all Canadians. They are:
- New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Canada Day, Labour Day & Christmas Day.
- Federal Statutory Holidays: These are an additional 6 Stat days which are given to employees of Federally regulated industries. Examples of these would be federal Public Service, Crown Corporations like Canada Post and any industry that crosses provincial borders like Broadcasting, Airlines and some transportation companies. Learn more here. These Federal Stat Days Are:
- Easter Monday, Victoria Day, Civic Holiday, Thanksgiving, Remembrance Day, Boxing Day and the new National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.
- Provincial Statutory Holidays: Each Province and Territory has a variety of designated Stat Holidays. Most employers in Canada fall under the provincial designation and those corresponding labour laws including eligibility for Stat and the actual days observed. All Staffing Services fall under this Provincial Employer designation and, as such, their employees both internal and Assignment Employees are eligible for stat pay according to the criteria of the province where they work. Check your provincial sites for the days and legislation relative you your situation.
ABL works with a wide variety of organizations across Canada including those in a federally regulated industry. These client companies often close in observation of these Federal Stat days. Assignment Employees are considered employees of ABL not the client assignment site. If you are unsure whether your ABL assignment is at a federally regulated workplace and, thus, may be closing on this day, please contact the ABL office for clarification.
ABL Employment | ABL Careers is not a federally regulated company, but rather, a privately held corporation. Therefore, ABL offices and phonelines will be open as usual, and each branch office team will create their own commemorations to mark this important day.