This article was reproduced with permission from the Risk Management Team at People 2.0 Visit them at https://www.people20.com
Effective July 3, 2019, an Act to Make Alberta Open for Business, Bill 2 has passed. The key proposed changes would take effect on September 1, 2019 and are summarized below.
The Bill includes changes to general holiday pay, overtime and labour relations. See below for further information:
- Bill 2 will return to a holiday pay qualifying period of 30 workdays in the last 12 months before a general holiday
- Employees are not eligible for holiday pay if absent without consent from work on the first day before, or on the first day after, a holiday
- There are two option for paying employees holiday pay (when they’ve worked the holiday)
- 1.5 times regular wage for hours worked + average daily wage OR
- Regular wage for hours worked + average daily wage with one day off work
- If a holiday falls on a day that is normally a workday for the employee and the employee did not work on the holiday, they would be entitled to their average daily wage
- If a holiday falls on a day that is not normally a workday for the employee and they work on the holiday, they would be entitled to 1.5x their regular wage rate for hours worked
- If the holiday falls on a day that is not normally a workday for the employee and the employee did not work on the holiday, they would not be entitled to general holiday pay
Changes to Banked Overtime Pay:
- Overtime banking will be calculated on an hour for hour exchange (currently 1.5x for all overtime hours worked).
If you have any questions regarding this information, our risk management team is happy to help.
Thank you and work safe,
Compliance & Risk Management Department at People 2.0
Tel: 800.720.5318 extension 507
ABL Employment is a staffing agency specializing in filling general labour temporary jobs, including packaging jobs and warehouse jobs. Our ABL Careers division focuses on call centre and administrative positions. Contact us today to find the right staff for your needs!
You might also like: