Are You Using Face Masks Safely And Effectively?
All ABL Employees are required to wear all appropriate PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) at work, to maintain physical distancing of at least 1metre whenever possible, and practice excellent hand hygiene at all times.
Having A Mask On Your Face Is Not Good Enough:
Whether you choose a disposable medical mask, or a reusable fabric mask, you need to be putting them on and off (donning and doffing) properly, and cleaning or disposing of them safely. The World Health Organization has great information in the following videos. The steps are outlined in the bulleted list below the videos.
Steps To Safely Wearing Face Masks:
- Clean your hands before you put your mask on, as well as before and after you take it off, and after you touch it at any time.
- Make sure it covers both your nose, mouth and chin.
- Make sure there are no gaps on the sides, or around the nose and chin, that will let air and germs out.
- When you take off a mask, store it in a clean plastic bag, and every day either wash it if it’s a fabric mask, or dispose of a medical mask in a trash bin.
- Clean your hands again.
- Don’t use masks with valves.
To help prevent your eye glasses from fogging up, put your glasses on after the mask so the rim of the glasses helps hold down the top of the mask against your face.
Masks are not enough to stop the spread of germs: Use additional preventative measures like maintaining a minimum of 1m physical distancing when around other people, and don’t touch your eyes before washing your hands.