It’s summer! Hot weather is here!
Sticky, Sweaty, Smelly. Sometimes that means people are trailing some pungent body odors. Workplaces that require a high level of physical activity can cause a person to sweat and smell.
FACT: Sweat is what causes odor, so it’s important to keep your feet and body dry.
- Regular baths or showers and underarm deodorant are the methods most people use to keep body odor under control
- Re-apply deodorant during the day or purchase an extra-strength product
- Avoid oily, spicy foods and alcohol, as it makes you feel warm internally.
- Excessive intake of non-veg food items, especially red meats, worsen your body odor; as these food items have much more protein than veggies. Protein raises body temperature
- STAY HYDRATED!
- Clothing that features anti-bacterial material that wicks away moisture from the body can help people whose work requires physical activity.
- Wear light color clothes AS as dark colors absorb much more heat than lighter colors
- Change work shirt mid-shift
FEET AND WORK BOOTS – SHOES
- A shower or bath every day will help to clean off bacteria Wipe the area between your toes
FACT: Sweat is what causes foot odor, so it’s important to keep your feet dry.
- Wear socks that breathe! Socks made of cotton or special wicking fibers will allow air to reach your feet and keep them cool
- Make sure your WORKBOOTS are not too tight as this will cram toes and make them sweat
- Powder your footwear regularly and allow shoes to dry out every few days
- Wash your shoes in a washing machine or bathtub. Use powders that claim to reduce odor
Remove foot odor from work boots and sneakers:
simply sprinkle 3 tablespoons of baking soda into each shoe and leave it
overnight and pour it out in the morning before work
HINT: Should you find yourself working alongside a coworker with personal hygiene issues which have become a distraction, due to the sensitive nature of this topic, it’s best to speak privately with your supervisor about your concerns, so that this may addressed in a private and tactful manner.
Posters and Tips are available for download:
What is Personal Hygiene – Poster
Why is Personal Hygiene Important – Poster
Stay Summer Fresh While Working – Poster
Creative Ways to Eat – Poster